editSuggest an edit

First Christian Church

Religion / Churches

910 N Indiana Ave,
Auburn, IN 46706

(260) 925-2798

Call
Call (260) 925-2798
Directions
Get directions to this
location on Google Maps.
Website
Open website
in new tab.
Share this business
on social media.

About

First Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) was established in March of 1902. In that year, Elder J.N. Wilson, a retired minister called the scattered Disciples of Dekalb Co. to a hall on East 7th Street, just above the old Post Office. At this meeting an organization was formed that eventually became the Church of Christ, with Wilson serving as preacher for 3 years. By 1906, this organization began to grow, with revivals being held that attracted many converts. On September 2, 1906, a new building was dedicated on a property located at 13th and Jackson Streets in Auburn. This building was made possible in part by generous donations from charter members and with the help of the Church Building Fund, what is now called the Board of Church Extensions for the Christian Church (DoC). The Church continued to worship at that site until 1958, when a congregational vote confirmed the church’s desire to purchase the site of our current facility. Before the building project could proceed, the church decided to change its name and voted in January of 1960 to become the First Christian Church of Auburn. Building commenced shortly thereafter and by March 5, 1961, the congregation was celebrating its first Lord’s Day Worship in our current location.